Have you ever asked your students to explain what they learned in a lab activity or after reading an informational text and gotten a one word answer? Even worse, maybe a shoulder shrug?
I’ve been there!
Teaching writing is a daunting task no matter what subject you are teaching!
POWER OF CLAIM, EVIDENCE, AND REASONING
Using the C-E-R framework can be a POWERFUL tool to help your students become better at scientific thinking and writing!
C-E-R encourages students to state their claim, or their answer to the question. From there, students need to provide their evidence and reasoning to support the claim.
The good news is that C-E-R in the classroom doesn’t have to be difficult (or boring).
Commercials are a fun and engaging way to introduce students to the C-E-R framework.
- They’re short.
- They are entertaining.
- They are non-scientific, which makes this a low stress activity for students getting started!
Here are a few of my favorite non-scientific video clips to use when introducing C-E-R.
1. My Dad’s an Alien Commercial – Who is the little girl’s dad? Who does the little girl think her dad is?
2. Audi Prom Commercial – What happened to the boy? How did he get a black eye?
3. Doritos Dog Buries Cat Commercial – What happened to the cat?
4.Cheryl’s She Shed – Who burned Cheryl’s She Shed?
5. Shamwow – What does Vince want you to do?
If you’re looking for more C-E-R ideas, take a look at the post “How to Teach Claim, Evidence, and Reasoning Like a Pro.”
Are you ready to dive into C-E-R?
Take a look at these ready to use lessons, posters, and lab activities! They are no-prep and huge time savers!
Bundle and save 20%!
As a science teacher, I know how daunting CER can be in the classroom! I created this guide to walk you through the entire process. It includes two graphic organizers, sentence stems, a sample CER organizer, and tips for students who struggle.
Get your copy here!